Make yourself acquainted with these two stepbrothers: SELF WORTH and SELF WORTHLESSNESS. Although these brothers have two opposing attitudes, they both work for the same employer: Satan. He uses these two innocent looking fellows most efficiently, if we let him.
SELF WORTH: Or self-importance is exploited by (pushed) by the "New World" way of thinking: "I am important." or "I'm worth it!" I'm sure you've seen TV ads flaunting this idea.
SELF-WORTHLESSNESS: This attitude is just as prevalent, one which Satan uses all the time on Christians. I certainly know that he tries it on me a lot. But we must shake both these ways of thinking. To begin with, we didn't make ourselves, so why should we take credit or blame for our make up.
Isaiah 54:9 "Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker...Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?" Psalm 139.14-16 "... Marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
This should put all things in perspective, as far as both SELF WORTH and WORTHLESSNESS is concerned. It is true, what we become, and what we do with what God has made, has somewhat to do with us, and our attitude toward God. But that is not the point I am striving to help us see today.
I am passing on a blessing, which someone passed to me.
And I pray that it will help YOU some today.
Just understand, God made you, and He wants for you to see
He is the Potter. You are just the clay. Isaiah 45:9
What I want us to study today is: How do we really feel about ourselves?
1. "Never think or speak negatively about yourself, for that puts you in disagreement with God." Psalm 139:14 "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made:"
2. "Concentrate on your strengths:" II Corinthians 12:9 "...My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."
3. "Never compare yourself with others. You are unique. God made each of us original. There are no clones in God's family. Psalm 139:15-16 "My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them."
4. "Focus on your potential, not on you limitations. Remember, God lives within you. Psalm 138:8 "The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands." ICorinthians 7:19 "What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."
5. Find something you like to do, and are "gifted" to do well, and do it. Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might.."
6. Have the courage to be different. Please God, not men. II Corinthians 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."
7. Focus daily on God. Only through Him will you be able to build your confidence. Isaiah 30:15 "In quietness and confidence shall be your strength:" .Psalm 139:17 "How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them." Isaiah 26:3 & 4 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee...Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord.
Helen Dowd enjoys spending time at her computer, along side her husband of 52 years, writing poetry, story poems, stories about pets and life in general, as well as inspirational and Bible stories. Her writings can be found on her website: www.occupytillicome.com.
Email address: email@example.com